Monday 22 June 2015

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? | Mindy Kaling



✴ ✴ 


It's funny.

This is really funny.

Like I said before in my Yes Please by Amy Poehler review, this is not a memoir or 'how to' on being funny. I lied on my Yes Please review when I said that it was my first memoir because technically this is my first but I didn't finish it and I finished Yes Please before this one. 

The only reason I put this book down for like 4 MONTHS(!!??!?!?) was because I got bored... Mindy actually mentions right in the beginning of her book that, and I quote "If you're reading this book every night for months, something is not right." BUT MINDY IT'S NOT YOU OR THE BOOK, it' me being an annoying croissant and unable to commit to reading adult books. Condolences. 

Another thing I would like to mention before I actually get into this is that I took the top picture of the book last year and it is super saturated because I was in the phase where I thought saturating everything looked wonderful, when it really didn't!

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) is an Humour, Memoir written by Mindy Kaling. Mindy give us a journey of her life and how she grew up and writes about her family, friends, boys, growing up and tops it all off with fantastic humour. This is an adult book and maybe that is why I wasn't 'hooked' (not that this is a story book with a plot) but also because I am not yet an adult that has to do adult things, I mention this exact issue in my Yes Please by Amy Poehler review as well.

Did I enjoy this more that Amy Poehler's book? I mean I think it's only right if I compare the memoirs.. not the people. !!! Don't compare Mindy to Amy. You might as well just be saying 'Parks and Recreation or The Mindy Project' which is stupid because both shows are hilarious! I gave both books 3/5 stars.

The writing was easy to follow and read, she threw in a few jokes here and there that got me giggling. I feel as though Mindy brought us more into her early life and her life overall whereas Amy passed through her early life quite fast and had a really long pit stop at the beginning of her career, improve acting, SNL and basically her acting debut, however Amy did give more 'life advice' whereas Mindy not so much. Both books had pictures however if you go look at my Yes Please by Amy Poehler review (I will stop saying this now) you will see that her book it slightly lengthier and filled with colour, whereas Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me is written like a normal book with printed pictures that are black and white. Not to mention Yes Please is quite heavy for a book and this one weighed what you'd expect it to, like a normal novel. 

The storyline or in this case the timeline of the book is mostly Mindy and her life, she starts from the childhood and she addressing many different things but not much of The Mindy Project and not a lot of the book is dedicated to her career and how she 'made it' (if you will). Which is the complete opposite to Yes Please by Amy Poehler, this is because Amy spends more of her book (that has 300+ pages whereas this has 200+ pages) addressing her career and what she did and how she 'made it' and like I said a few times already you can go read all about that in that review here.

You also might know Mindy as Kelly Kapoor on The Office (another national treasure) but I'm more familiar with Mindy from her own produced show called The Mindy Project. Now, lets talk 'The Mindy Project', if you don't already watch this show. What are you doing? Like, what are you doing? It is one of my favourite shows alongside: Friends, Parks and Rec, Greys Anatomy, L&O SVU and Orange Is The New Black.

Mindy is a very lovely person and it was very heartwarming to read all she had to say about her close friends, work acquaintances, her family and her career. I think the most I laughed was at a page, quite close to the beginning where she titles it 'Alternate Titles for This Book' and let me just say some of the ones she mentions are so funny I almost died. Mindy also has a second book coming out this year in September called Why Not Me? . I hopefully will read that as well when it comes out because this was a nice read to be frank. It was heartwarming and delightful. 

I would give this as a lovely present for my mum or my aunts because I'm sure they would like it and if you ever need to give someone a preset (last minute or not) this is a really good one! This is really good to give around the holidays or birthdays as it's a good size read and people will really appreciate it. 

I would highly recommend reading this if you're contemplating, because it is good. Another thing I would like to say is that both memoirs (Yes Please and IEHOWM?) are more steered towards adults as both writers are adults looking back at their lives and both memoirs are written by Mindy and Amy who are adults; it has more of an adult feel to the book. Nevertheless it was lovely reading this! 


p.s

No comments:

Post a Comment