Tuesday 11 November 2014

Magnolia | Kristi Cook



✴ ✴ ✴ 
Sorry about the crappy pics guys, my dad has my proper camera and I'm using my phone for now.  

I actually read this in October and this was the last book I read in that month but it has taken me a very long time to review it. (1) because I was in Japan for a holiday, (2) I wasn't in the mood to read/review, (3) I was sick with hay-fever for a week or so, (4) I'm lazy as f$*%

I didn't have an urge to review this at all and that may be another reason as the book was alright; nothing special. I enjoyed it and that's about it. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting! I thought it would be cliche as hell and I would just hate it. In a turn of events I actually didn't hate it and it wasn't cliche, cheesy? maybe but not cliche. 

There aren't enough books where school and uni/college aspects are dealt properly whereas Kristi Cook did a fab job in re-creating the mood of senior year and the stress that teens go through. It's always the most straight forward things you never see in a y/a contemporary. I actually cry every time! Why can't authors create contemporaries where it's some what realistic with periods, school, stress, exams and not filled with insta-love? It's obviously not what everyone goes through and it's not a perfect representation but I respect the fact that she included the issues at hand in senior year. 

'In Magnolia Branch, Mississippi, the Cafferty and Marsden families are southern royalty. Neighbours since the Civil War, the families have shared vacations, holidays, backyard barbecues, and the overwhelming desire to unite their two clans by marriage. So when a baby boy and girl were born to the families at the same time, the perfect opportunity seemed to have finally arrived.

Jemma Cafferty and Ryder Marsden have no intention of giving in to their parents’ wishes. They’re only seventeen, for goodness’ sake, not to mention that one little problem: They hate each other! Jemma can’t stand Ryder’s nauseating golden-boy persona, and Ryder would like nothing better than to pretend stubborn Jemma doesn’t exist.


But when a violent storm ravages Magnolia Branch, it unearths Jemma’s and Ryder’s true feelings for each other as the two discover that the line between love and hate may be thin enough to risk crossing over.'

Magnolia is a young-adult contemporary. It's a very southern book (southern bells holler). It's located in Mississippi and I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO VISIT THERE. I just really want to go to Mississippi sometime in the future, it's really pretty. Southern accents are v cool as well. The things they said in this book and the way they said them at times were just hilarious, the dialogue was epic. I remember laughing lots n lots, most of the time I was laughing at how cheesy it was and because I'm a sucker for romance. bYE!

I found myself all through the book wondering how it was going to end, only because it's one of those novels where the guy and the girl hate each other but then the like get together, I don't think that's much of a spoiler because it's said in the blurb and come on! Where could it possible go if it's a contemporary? Yes cliche but it motherofgod there were some  crayyzeee plot twists; you never really knew what to expect. Although I've read enough fanfic to know where it was going, however there are times where I was like 'what is happening' there are some intense moments in this book and in the end it all adds up. 

The characters are loveable and refreshing, it's a good quickie. Perfect for read-a-thons or a great book to get over another book. It's a really cute book. Sorry for the late review (I am indeed alive and have not died, yet) I will be trying to catch up on some of the other review I have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment