Wednesday 1 April 2015

Lullabies | Lang Leav








✴ ✴ 

Well, this is something new and I'm 100% excited because I adore poetry and I would love to share this with you. My wonderful friend -Tess- lent this to me. I mention her in quite a few of my posts *clears throat* i'mma just link ya'll: here, here and here

Current mood: sitting wishing for a cat and waiting for my face mask to dry.

How is everyone?
Comment est tout le monde?
Jak se všichni?
(I asked the same question in French and Czech. Not quite sure what I'm doing.) 

This was soooooooosososososo good. 
Need I say anymore?
That's all you need to know.
Go read it.
Bye.
This review is over.
Seriously! 

I don't actually think this book sells near any of the bookstores I live near so I had to borrow it from my friend Tess who actually got this from her Dad in the US. I'm supposed to give this back to her but I love it a lot and it's been two weeks. I'll give it to her when we meet up for another one of my friends birthday. 

Lullabies is Lang Leav's second book. Her first is Love & Misadventure, which I have yet to read. Her books aren't in order so you can read them however you please. Lullabies is filled with an assortment of poems all relating to 'love' and relationships. 

This book is short and filled with amazing poetry. It's not very long and maybe that's why I wanted to read it over a few days rather than at once. I wanted to savour the words and the experience. I feel like when you read poetry about love or sometimes friendship, you tend to think of a significant other and sometimes when you read 'love' poems it can feel like it sums up your relationship with the person or as if the poem speaks to you on an emotional level. For some people they may just be delighted by reading poetry about love or poetry in general, which is wonderful. I wish I would read more poetry and do it willingly. The idea of reading poetry when I was like 10 was horrific because that meant Shakespeare and I have a love hate thing going on with that dude. 

The reason for feeling as though these poems speak to you is because Lang Leav has created this to make you (the reader) the protagonist and you take on these poems with your experiences. This is also one of those books you have to own and physically hold. In my opinion anyways. 

A few of my favourite poems in this are: 
Her Words
Metamorphosis
Lullabies
The Dinner Guest 
Fading Polaroid 
Fairy Tales 
Soundtracks 
An Artist In Love 
The End

Lets talk about Lang Leav. Now I'm assuming she is a hopeless romantic like me (it's a life struggle). LANG LEAV HAS THE TYPE OF WRITING I WANT TO GET TATTOOED ON MYSELF! It's just so beautiful I think I'm going to cry. She has a way of capturing feelings into written words which I am so amazed by and makes me cry. Her work is truly lovely. 

Also she draws all her sweet images on the cover of her books and I HAVE NEVER RELATED SO MUCH TO AN AUTHOR. I like to write and paint, those two things are my favourite, also hugs. 

I've come across many bad reviews on this book. Most say that it just was written awfully or without much context; everything was jumbled. I don't particularly understand that however I read another review where someone said that they would have loved this in their teenage years. Which to an extent I agree. I'm not sure if I love this because I'm in that 'phase' or because I just love the poetry. For those reasons I gave it three stars, this book also won the Goodreads 2014 Winner for poetry (I think). 

To conclude if you want some hopeless romantic songs to die to, here:

Happy - Marina and the Diamonds 
Someone New - Banks 
Fuck Em Only We Know - Banks 
Why Try - Ariana Grande 
One Last Time - Ariana Grande 
Wake Me Up - Ed Sheeran (+ the rest of his songs)
Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding 
Jet Pack Blues - Fall Out Boy 
Something I Need - One Republic
Avalanche - Nick Jonas 
You Are In Love - Taylor Swift 
Not On Drugs - Tove Lo
Robbers - The 1975 
Love Love Love - Avalanche City 
Everything by Sam Smith.....
Fireproof - One Direction 
Buy A Heart - Nicki Minaj
Bed Of Lies - Nicki Minaj 
Grand Piano - Nicki Minaj 
Sugar - Maroon 5
Hold Back The River - James Bay
Polaroid - Imagine Dragons 
Take Me To Church - Hozier 

These are only a few, I don't think you understand that I'm trying very hard to hold myself back from writing all my favourite songs!


p.s

No comments:

Post a Comment