Saturday 27 December 2014

Attachments | Rainbow Rowell



✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ . 5

Yes, I know my 'book-tripod' holding up Attachments consists of an array of odd books. I am aware. Nevermind them...stop looking at them and look at Attachments because it doesn't completely display how cute the book is compared to how it made me feel. 

I try to keep the reviews on my blog strictly young adult with a few exceptions and Rainbow Rowell is one of them. This is an Adult, Contemporary novel although it can totally be read by Y/A readers so don't worry about that. Rainbow Rowell's books can all be read by the same audiences (Y/A and Adult/New Adult) even though she writes both adult and young adult. Rainbow Rowell is one of my favourite authors ever! I love literally everything she writes; I can now officially say that I have read all the books she has released so far and I cannot wait for what more she has to come. 

*clears throat* Attachments is set in the year 1999 where the internet is still an oddity. It follows 28 (i think) year old Lincoln, a shy IT guy responsible for monitoring peoples email, just to see that it's all professional and no one is emailing about how they have just adopted another cat or what they had for lunch. As well as Lincoln, at the newspaper office, two colleagues: Beth and Jennifer are emailing back and forth discussing their lives humorously and instead of sending them both warnings about the nature of their emails, he rather spends his hours reading every single exchange. The more Lincoln gets invested in their emails, the more he sees himself falling for one of them. A very heartwarming story about following your heart and finding out if there is a such thing as love before first sight. *squeals* 

If you're not familiar with Rainbow Rowell's works, I will recommend you some:
*...In another edition of Fiona recommends you...* 
Fangirl (I reviewed this here.)
Eleanor and Park (read this ages ago so no review :( but I did enjoy it and it was very heartwarming.)
Landline (my all time favourite by her and I reviewed this here.)
and of course Attachments (this is the review...)
She also did a short story in the Twelve Holiday Stories called My True Love Gave To Me.

I have also realised that in EVERY SINGLE RAINBOW ROWELL BOOK I CRY MY EYES OUT! THIS IS A MONSTROSITY but I still adore her books. It's a recurring theme and I've come to embrace it. 

So here's the sitch, my lovely, beautiful, wonderful friend Tess lent this to me and I cannot thank her enough for that (you can follow her on tumblr here) and she lent this to me on my birthday back in October....and it has taken me almost three months to get to it which is horrible but I've read it and now I will share. 

Rainbow Rowell has a way with words; building characters and her amazing sense of capturing love and what it feels like in her books. She is truly a terrific writer and I'd read anything she ever wrote! Her writing is filled with humour and at the same time you never want to stop reading; that's why every time I finish her books I feel as thought THEY ARE NOT FINISHED because I want more. She is a very flexible writer in the sense that her characters in each book she writes are really different to each other, the only thing she really keeps the same throughout all her books is the link to Omaha (Nebraska) is in literally all her books (but that's where she's lives so...) Her characters are filled with compassion and are always very funny you can't help but get attached (see what I did there....ha.....h...a....) and feel for these characters. Maybe that's why her books coax the waterworks back for most people. There is an emotional aspect in her books although there is always, somewhat a happy ending. There just has to be. 

I still feel as though Landline is my favourite and that's only because it was the book I most related towards and felt all nice & mushy on the inside. Not that I'm in my mid-twenties and am married with two kids but the ordeal that this couple go through in that book is just....*sighs*....very cute. Read it. Did I mention I had a review on that here? Well I do! It's here. Don't get me wrong, I did love Attachments but I didn't love it as much as Landline (ya feel? hence the 4.5) and I felt as though there could be more in Attachments as I thought it was quite abrupt and slightly obscure. But I still felt all nice & mushy. 

I've also been in a reading slump for a month and this is a fabulous 'pick-me-up'. 

Seriously read her books! You won't regret it. 

2 comments:

  1. I've just bought Landline by Rainbow Rowell and Attachments is on my want to read list too. Im intrigued that she writes both YA and Adult contemporary, can't wait to read these!

    http://sundaysandink.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for commenting this just made my day. I definitely think you should read Landline first (as I think people will like it more than Attachments) even though Attachments is very lovely as well. Rainbow Rowell is such a fab writer!

      Delete