Saturday 7 January 2017

THE PSYCHOLOGY CORNER | Conviction | Juan Martinez



✴ ✴ ✴ 


Okay. Lets just appreciate the fact that I have come back. I know I have been gone since July of 2016 and that year is over. But in my defence I was applying to university, in addition scumming to the demands of the IB. Also my motivation was like ded. But I am here now thanks TO THIS FAB book!! I'm excited to write this and I hope you all continue to stay and read on because this is so intriguing.

Ignore Masterchef on the tv in the background of the first photo, I just wanted to get the picture taken and I didn't think of location at all.

Before I go into the review, I don't know if y'all remember that I was starting a new thing on my blog called 'The Psychology Corner' but I mentioned it in my last post. Basically where I take books related to psychology in some way, where I could then discuss the nature of those books in my reviews on this blog with theories, possible studies and more. Don't be alarmed, I will still do my regular book reviews. Its just I wanted to start this since I am going into a Psychology major.

This is a snippet of the goodreads synopsis:

Juan Martinez, the fiery prosecutor who convicted notorious murderess Jodi Arias for the disturbing killing of Travis Alexander, speaks for the first time about the shocking investigation and sensational trial that captivated the nation.

Through two trials, America watched with baited breath as Juan Martinez fought relentlessly to convict Jodi Arias of Murder One for viciously stabbing her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death. What emerged was a story wrought with sex, manipulation, and deceit that stunned the public at every turn. Arias, always playing the wronged and innocent woman, changed her story continually as her bizarre behavior surrounding the crime and its aftermath came to light. Unwavering, Arias and her defense team continued to play off the salacious details of the case, until she was finally found guilty and—controversially—sentenced to life behind bar

This was reaLLY GOOD! Especially if you're like me; into crime stuff. No joke, I've watched a bunch of crime documentaries, in particular ones about murderers and sociopaths. I just can't stop. (i'm not crazy) If you are into criminology, psychology; specifically sociocultural psych, this is really interesting and you will be hookED! I had watched clips and interviews about Jodi Arias and the whole trial and tribulations that went with her and her crimes. Additionally, there was a Dr. Phil segment on the trial with Juan - the author - who is formally a (fantastic) prosecutor.

The book itself is a stand alone, recount (memoir ish) thing that recounts the days of the crime, trial and aftermath. The book is in chronological order so the narrative arch is structured by the time period of the evens. For example, the day Mr Martinez got a phone call about Travis's found body and so on.

With anything like this, you have to understand that an innocent man lost his life due to an alleged motive of jealousy. I feel for Travis and his family because if you look into the case or read the book, Travis suffered so much. Honestly, I am still shook from the events that occurred on June the 4th. Clearly Jodi did it, she admits to it whether thats after two lies and a 'self defence' claim, she did this. This is not a trial trying to prove she is guilty but one that she is, not to mention the evidence against her is overwhelming.

Coming from a psychological perspective, I think it's important to addressees Arias's deceit and lies. 
The deceit that Jodi carries with her throughout the trial is so interesting to me. In the book Juan mentions a time where he watched an interview early on in the trial where Jodi was answering that she couldn't possibly see a jury finding her guilty because she didn't commit the crime. She looked so believable! I watched the same interview later on Youtube and I am actually shook how real and sincere she looks. As if everything out of her mouth was genuine truth. Little did everyone know she was indeed the one that killed Travis Alexander. At this time she was spinning the second story that a man and a woman were the ones responsible for his death, not her. That brings me into her changing her story not once or twice but THREE TIMES. In any juries eyes that has to put a line between her truth and lies because what can you believe out of her mouth after that.

There is a lot in the book that we learn about Jodi's childhood and whether she was an ordinary girl. We learn that she has always been 'weird' - meaning that she was out of the norm and unexplainable since childhood. I've exaggerated that just a little but if there is anything you take from this, it's that she was unusual. This brings me into nature vs nurture, in hindsight were her crimes an act of biological disposition or throughout her life. In my opinion it's neither. I don't really think we should blame her genes or her rough upbringing but herself. Jodi is a special kind of evil. People kill for many reasons. I sometimes wonder truly why Jodi allowed it to get his far for her. 

I gave this book four stars. I actually read this last year (in 2016) sometime in December but have only had the time to post this review now. To be honest, I would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't watched almost everything on Youtube about it already. Nonetheless this was still so good! Just nothing that I would be too memorable as this was a trail and after it you just move on. I was so hooked on this crime/trial but like any trial, after time you have to just move on. I am really glad Juan decided to write this and I hope he's currently happy and solving the world.

Don't worry! I won't be gone any longer, I've got another review coming up (I say this all the time but I swear I'm on top of it this time!). oH AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

No comments:

Post a Comment