Thursday 12 January 2017

My True Love Gave To Me | a-bunch-of-amazing-authors



Long, cold nights are for falling in love...

This is depressingly very late. Christmas is over and I have exams in May. Schooling has slowly and painstakingly taken my sanity. Yes, I know it's not Christmas and that's now a whole year away but I did read this (shockingly for once) in December (I believe). Although I haven't had time to sit and write this until now...thirteen days into January. 

This is a short story collection by various amazing young adult authors edited by the one and only Stephanie Perkins. There is a mixture of authors I'm very familiar with and some that are new to me. The contributing authors consist of: Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black, David Levithan, Kelly Link, Stephanie Perkins (who also edited the book), Matt de la Pena, Kirsten White, Lani Taylor, Gayle Forman, Jenny Han, Myra McEntire and last but not least Ally Carter

I've decided to review this book by individual short stories (author by author) as I think this would be easiest. I'll then compile and average for this whole book. This makes no sense whatsoever but lets just go with it. 

This might just be the most prettiest book I own (like ever). Hold on let me just pan over my bookshelves and see if there is anything better....yeah no. Lets talk about the cover of this book because are you not seeing how pretty this book is? I specifically got this hardback only because of the cover. There is an original cover with mini people ice skating and I thought that was cute but this is cuter and it has pink sides!

Midnights by Rainbow Rowell:
5/5
So this is the first short story and it's Rainbow Rowell so it's amazing as always. If you want so see some of my reviews on her books I'll link them here: Landline, Attachments and Fangirl. She is one of my favourite authors of all time. Anyways back to her short story in this instalment, I basically really enjoyed it. I expected nothing less and she delivered as always. This is such a wonderful quick read for the holidays. 

The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link:
0/5 
Yeah I didn't even finish this or read it. Sorry. Let me know if it's actually any good and maybe I'll give it a go. 

Angels In The Snow by Matt de la Peña:
0/5
I have to give the short stories I didn't read a 0. As harsh as it sounds I do because...well...I didn't read them. Nothing to review. Let me know if this one is good and I will come back and read it. 

Polaris Is Where You'll Find Me by Jenny Han
2/5
Okay I know that rating is harsh but honestly I don't even remember this story lol. When I went back into the collection to recount the ones I read and the ones I didn't I had to double take on this story. Only because I didn't remember if I even read it! The only reason I actually properly gave this a go as because it's Jenny Han. I read her Summer I Turned Pretty trilogy here, which I also have a review of here. What I do remember of this was that it was really cute. The main is super cute and the romance in this was very ~high school~ flirty; once in a while you do need something like that. Overall, this was good but not memorable. 

It's A Yuletide Miracle. Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins:
5/5 
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! ThiS WAS SO GOOD!!!!!! MY FAVOURITE IN THIS COLLECTION. AHHHH I adored this so much. I expected nothing less from Stephanie Perkins, she's a phenomenal author. This main character Marigold was honestly, so different to any of her other character in Anna and The French Kiss (I have a review here) or in my favourite book by Perkins: Lola and The Boy Next Door (I have a review of that here as well) OR the third instalment Isla and The Happily Ever After (I have a review of that here too, this also happened to be the first review I did in 2015). Everything in this story was perfect. It was nothing redundant you would have heard of in any other book, the situation was so weird and the circumstances even weirder. I loved it! 

Your temporary Santa by David Levithan 
4/5
This was so gay and I loved every bit of it! This story kept me on my toes the whole time. Like, whats gonna happen next? How about now?! It was written extremely well, I have never read anything else by David Levithan but now I want to. I have How They Met by John Green and David Levithan in my 'to be read' pile but haven't gotten time to read it. Let me know whether I should bump it up higher if its any good! 

Krampuslauf by Holly Black:
0/5
I know Holly Black is a great author, I've heard so much about her. But this just made me bored, I think I got 3 pages in and I was like nah. Do let me know if this is actually good and that I suck and should give it another go!

What The Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth? by Gayle Forman
0/5
Yeah I tried to give this one a go too but it just wasn't happening for me. Although, I have read Just One Day by Gayle Forman which I reviewed here

Ok so turns out there is maybe 4-5 other short-stories after this one and I didn't read any of those because none interested me. If they are worth the read, do let me know and I'll go back and have a look again. 

Thank you. Also, I posted in time this time! I promised I wouldn't be hiatus for long and I wasn't! Don't worry, I've got another 'proper' review coming in the next week (hopefully). I'm super excited for that one. Have a wonderful day everyone. 


p.s

No comments:

Post a Comment