Tuesday 8 July 2014

Winger | Andrew Smith



Well, wasn't this just an emotional roller-coaster. This was such a great read and I'm so glad I picked it up. Honestly though, why did it take me this long? we'll never know. Winger is about a fourteen year-old (I was gonna say little boy but...); Ryan Dean West who's in his junior year of a rich kid boarding school. He has his ups and downs with his friends, fitting in, bullying, being the youngest and the girl he loves. Ryan Dean manages to survive life's complications and finds somewhat 'peace' afterwords. The worlds most shittyest synopsis of a book ever but it'll have to do, for now. Just check it out would you!

Before I even go into my feels lets talk about the physical book, please? I mean the cover is eh but I love how the front is Ryan Dean and the back is Ryan Dean but a drawn version. The spine tho, yes the spine! Absolutely in-love with this spine, might just be the best spine in my entire book collection. It's up there with my gorgeous penguin deluxe edition of Jane Eyre.

How does a book make you laugh your ass of one minute then rip your heart out and crushes it into a million tiny pieces the next? HOWWW?????!?! Bittersweet this was for me. I adored this book so very much, if I could give it a higher rating I would. No doubt.

I didn't expect to  it as much as I did, the main character was a bit of a hassle for me in the first few pages, but ayye isn't every book character. I mean I like how this main was flawed and not 'perfect'. The main character in this book goes through a transformation (like most characters) but this one was so well written and I can't. His journey throughout the book is a journey us-readers truly indulge in and in my case my emotions where everywhere, literally. I thought this would be a semi traumatic book because of the bullying but that isn't half of it. Why didn't anyone warn me! I so was not prepared. I appreciated every single character and was very entertained. The humour in this is on point, the amount of times I laughed my head of during this book is countless.

Andrew Smith is absolutely amazing and such a great person. Not to mention or brag but he did favourite one of my tweets (made my day) where I tweeted that this book was making me emotional and AHHHHHHH! The writing style is something you kinda have to get into and for me it was like two pages in but I do understand people who don't particularly like the writing style but I did and I thought it was fantastic.

I highly enjoyed reading this and savoured every moment, highly recommend!


~fi
  x

No comments:

Post a Comment