Thursday 3 July 2014

Across The Universe | Beth Revis

Oh thank god we finally get a proper y/a sci-fi where romance doesn't depict the whole book! 

'A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.' 


Across The Universe in my opinion is a very unique young-adult-sci-fi novel where sixteen year old Amy joins her parents on board a spaceship 'godspeed' to theoretically be frozen and awaken at a new planet three hundred years later in the future. However she unfortunately gets awaken fifty years too early. Amy then realises that she didn't 'accidentally' wake up from some computer malfunction but because some is out to kill her and possibly her parents and the other frozen cargo. She then has to discover the secrets of the this spaceship and meeting the inhabitants. She befriends Elder and Harley in the process of figuring out who awakened her. 

Can we talk about how I don't actually have the beautiful hardcover edition of this book *sighs* I have the boring space-n-star-less edition. God damn publishing companies, damnnnn. If you have the hardcover edition I am super jealous of you.

                        My favourite part:

She starts crying. Not soft, sad tears, but the angry sort like she hates the whole world or at least the ship that's now her world . So I do what any reasonable person would do when faced with a crying girl.



I get the frex out of there.

This honestly was a well written y/a sci-fi novel. There was so much action (passive action?) that I literally sped through the book. The idea and plot line for this novel was greatly thought out; the characters were brilliant, however Amy one of the mains was slightly annoying for me. This is another great and I mean GREAT representation of a y/a book where the romance isn't the only 'hot topic' but there was a solid plot and grounded characters, yes there was romance but it was kept to a minimal (which makes it far more realistic!) probably because this is a trilogy. The book may sound confusing to most people I can relate because I basically don't read books that have strong themes of sci-fi, apocalyptic, paranormal and aliens, no no noo. However Beth Revis writes this brilliantly with the duel perspectives and the whole book is just so damn intriguing. I'm very please to hear that this isn't then end for these characters and this world because I'm starting to really, really love it. 

The only thing I struggled with was the lingo or the 'space language', if you will. I understand that this was all for effect and it just helped the world building and the personality and dialogue between the characters, for example a few words: chutz, stars, frexing (my personal favourite) etc. I am in no means saying that this was pointless, its quite the opposite where I totally understand why this 'lingo' was used, this was just a mere observation a took down what I was reading. I also got very confused with the ship godspeed and how it was laid out and where everything was but not to fret there is a map/diagram insert in the book. 

All in all I highly recommend if you like sci-fi and if you don't want something where romance takes it all up, however even if you love romance I still think you should pick it up because what romance there is it's very cute and ship/otp worthy. Spoilery section bellow. 


~fi
  x
Around the second third of the book I did have a theory that the whole Eldest/Elder thing had something to do with all these killings; that the Elder between Eldest and present Elder was still alive and thats why he was able to get access into the cargo and stuff. I was right so HA! I was deffinely onto something along the lines of the dead Elder was still alive. I'm wasn't that fond of Harley or Amy, Harley was just sorta third-wheeling for me but I did start to like him more as the book progressed and then......he died......wow. Amy was always sorta annoying I mean Elder would call her 'beautiful' and hold her hand and she totally ignonred him, like GIRl I understand you're a little shook up but don't be a rude meanhead. I never truly liked Eldest either so when he died I was all for it, I was holy-mofo shocked when we learn there was no plague with disease but more of a protest/riot. Neither did I suspect Orion of anything but lmao right, shocker. The damn phydus though.

No comments:

Post a Comment