Friday 18 July 2014

Tiger Lily | Jodi Lynn Anderson




'Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . .'

My lord!

I can definitely see people: romance readers/enthusiasts, disney/fairytale fans and people who have read other books by Jodi Lynn Anderson and you all will most definitely going to be disappointed. You aren't supposed to read this for those specific reasons, romance for example. This book! Oh my, this book! How do I even fathom this book into words? I don't think my synopsis of the book would do it any justice so here is the blurb on goodreads (crossing my fingers that this intrigues many of you to pick it up.) 

"Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell.

Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland's inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily. Soon, she is risking everything—her family, her future—to be with him. When she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she's always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter.


With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it's the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who's everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart."



This story takes place in Neverland but not Neverland as we know it. The unspoken truth of Neverland. The fact that 
love doesn't always triumph and the good may fall.  

It follows a first person perspective of Tinkerbell; this gives us a wider view of perspectives of different characters, it's much more personal in Tinks perspective. This book is cleverly entwined with the disney story as we know it, the original and a few elements of surprise.
 It's not a re-telling. 


I would have never picked this up, ever. Seriously! Like the only reason I did was because one of my friends: Tilda-who never reads anything and she said it was worthwhile and my other friend Tess said the same thing. So when I was browsing the bookstore (as you do) and I came across the paperback edition and I read the synopsis I just thought this was another cheesy romance and I remember thinking it was kinda babyish; with the whole Peter Pan prospect of the book, but lemme just say you are 
never to old for Peter Pan or any fairytale matter of fact!  

There is a sentence that I would like to share from this book: "...but men don't want women who are brave. They want women who make them feel like men." As a feminist this is something I see regularly, but the fact of the matter is that it's very much true. I won't bore anyone with my feminist antics but I'll just let this sentence sit with you. If you will. 

These characters and the settings are so loveable, you slowly find yourself falling in-love with the writing and the characters and then it all breaks your heart but you still adore the book. Wow, this really blew me away. I didn't expect it to move me like it did, but it's beautiful. There isn't anything I disliked about this which is kinda weird, I always somehow find something to itch on. However the ending was what I was dreading and for good reason, it wasn't what I wanted any of us readers wanted but thats what I loved about this book and the author. 

My first book by Jodi Lynn Anderson and I'm already in love with her writing. I'm definitely going to pick up her newest book: The Vanishing Season. Highly, highly recommend this! Probably one of my favourite books of 2014 with CoHF by Cassandra Clare.



No comments:

Post a Comment