Thursday 21 December 2017

Three Dark Crowns | Kendare Blake


✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ 

This book has it all:

EPIC fantasy 
Triplets 
Triplets that have to kill one another to be the ultimate sister 
A world with women leaders 
Snakes....lots and lots of snakes (figuratively and literally) 

When kingdom come, there will be one.

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born—three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.

The last queen standing gets the crown.



(FAM! I AM BACK!! I will fill u in on what has happened to me at the end of this review, also sorry for not taking any pictures of the book, I havent had anytime to so yeah....) 



Guys, this synopsis was the start of something that could have been executed so well....and lest to say, I was not disappointed at all! 

Yes this book started of so bloody slow but I didn't mind it too much? Maybe it's because I had just come off a ridiculous hiatus where I read nearly nothing because of the IB and exams. I liked that it was kinda slow because it allowed to build character and world building ish? Like, yes I agree that could have been down much quicker in lesser chapters but overall it didn't put me off the book at all, so I will prevail with my views and rating.

The entire book is written in third person but each sister has their own chapter, at least for the most part at the beginning it is consecutive. Starts with Katherine, Arsinoe and then Mirabella, however towards the middle it gets jumbled up which I liked because it kept the novel interesting as many have commented on how this book has a slow start. Additionally, it just created more depth as it kept the storyline more insetting jumbled up rather consecutive and rudimentary; if it continued to be consecutive we would all just start predicting, getting comfortable and bored.

Katherine is my favourite sister and shortly after her Arsinoe. I did not like Mirabella very much, I felt the most distant towards her character. I know that the book is in third person POV but I still felt like her character was extremely detached.

There are parts of this book that had me smiling ear to ear and parts that had me like:


But for the most part Blake had me so engrossed, I finished this very quick.

To conclude, I genuinely found this book hard to read, there was a lot of jargon related to the world that was built. I don't know why I found it super hard to grasp but that is really my only fault in this book, that it can be a little hard to comprehend.

(SO I KNOW IVE been MIA for what feels like....an entire year but so much has happened! I actually read this book in May but never actually posted it...anywho, I graduated high school! I'm in uni now, I've just finished my first semester of uni so yeah, time hasnt been on my hands but I am alive and I'm reading some comics now so hopefully more reviews!)





2 comments:

  1. I love your review! I've been wondering whether to read it or not but I might give it a chance! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!! You should definitely give it a go, it's a good read.

      Delete