Monday 23 June 2014

City of Heavenly Fire | Cassandra Clare


Oh, how I have anticipated the release of this book and its finally here. A bit of a belated review but thats cause the struggle to find this was ridiculous. I went to six different bookstores till I found it and boy was it good. 

I don't want to spoil anyone because this is the sixth and last book of The Mortal Instruments series and if you haven't read the fist five books in this series then you should stop reading now....but here is the synopsis for City of Bones the first book in this series, if you like it then I recommend picking it up because this series is worthwhile. 

"When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... " 



Before I even, this book is a monster. I could kill someone with this. 
~Insert meaningful gif someone getting hit with a book for not reading the book first~

My thoughts straight after I finished the book (quite intriguing):
'oH MY GOD, this was so lovely and I loved it and I cannot. EVERYTHING WAS JUST GREAT AND CASSIE DIDN'T KILL US AND HOW CAN I FATHOM THIS BOOK?!?!?!?! I LAUGHED AND ALMOST CRIED AND JUST THIS WAS PERFECT!' 

....moving on.....

My thoughts after a few hours of fathoming:



Where do I actually even start? 

I guess from the beginning we know straight of the bat that the 'heavenly fire' was the key to the whole thing and that it was what was going to defeat Sebastien in the end but they didn't have the sword (Glorious) but they did have Jace. Can we just take a moment for the fact, if Clary had killed Sebastien in the last book (City of Lost Souls) none of this shit would have gone down, if she would have just stabbed 'Glorious' into Sebastian. If only.

I had a few theories about who would die in this book and it hurt me so much, I thought I was going to be in pieces at the end of reading CoHF but the deaths weren't that bad. Cassie said in a tweet (I think) that six main characters would die or something along the lines of that. I thought straight up that Simon was gonna die, thankGOD he didn't. Simon (and Isabelle) are literally one if not my favourite characters in the whole series. I also had theories that either Maia or Jordan would go and it was Jordan..........oh that was really sad. I had mixed feeling for Maureen, I didn't like her but I wasn't sure if she was going to die I also thought Alec was a goner but he lived. I knew Sebastien had to go at some point but I was not expecting Jonathan Morgenstern to bloody show up??!!. I also wan't expecting Raphael to die but once Sebastian retrieved that dagger from Raphael for not killing Magnus I knew it, I just knew. 

So these Blackthorns: Helen, Mark, Julian, Tiberius, Livia, Drusilla and Octavian (did I get them all) I really, really like them. I am so excited for TDA (The Dark Artifices) the next trilogy Cassie is writing which revolves around these two characters Julian Blackthorn and Emma Carstairs. Emma, gotta love her, I'm already love her and she isn't like Clary at all (Clary at times for me can be a bit annoying).   

I definitely did not expect the Seelie Queen and the fae to side with the Endarkened/Sebastien but then again 'they side with the winning team'. The moment I read that scene with the Seelie Queen and Sebastien in her bed (I almost died!) I knew that they couldn't trust the fairies. So then when Luke, Jocelyn, Magnus and Raphael get an invitation to dine with them I was like 'NO! THEY'RE EVIL! YOU MUSN'T' *sighs* that went downnnnn hill. 
                                                             
"Simon you have to 'DTR'" -actually laughed/cried here. 
Isabelle and Simon are my favourite characters to follow in this whole series, they are just so lovely to read about and every encounter with Simon is hilarious. Throughout the book Izzy doesn't let him tell her he loves her not till they are talking about the dreams they had when they entered the realm. I most definitely was not expecting Simon to give himself up to Magnus's dad and let him take all his damn memories! Then we jump to the aftermath in 2008 and its killing ALL of them to see that Simon doesn't remember any of them not till Magnus did his 'thing' and Simon COMES BACK AS A POSSIBLE SHADOWHUNTER! I would love to see more Izzy and Simon in 'The Dark Artifices' 

Yes, the scene we were all anticipating......Clace<3 They have sex in a cave no big deal. But honestly I thought that whole scene was written beautifully and it was just so cute and my feels! I knew that there was gonna be a sex scene because I just believed that it would happen in this book and it did. I had also seen some fan-art on tumblr of a cave/swimming scene, not sure who drew it but its lovely. Never the less it was steamy and fab. The one thing that made me laugh for a good five minutes had to to be the part where Jace whips out a condom, like he carries them around regularly especially in demon realms. 

The scene where Clary kicks-ass when Sebastian was going in demanding for the kiss and she stabs him and Sebastian dies but Jonathan rises then dies. Now Clary has always been this weird character for me, she definitely develops from the first book, they all do but in this book in particular she kickass and she isn't annoying at alll! Maybe its cause this book was just so good I didn't even care. The scene where she is leaning in to Sebastian's kiss but then she stabs him with Heospherous and my god that was intense, Sebastian's all 'You think you can still kill me-' but then its all muffled as he dies. But wait hold on no, wait right JONATHAN MORGENSTERN SHOWS UP all perfect and normal and poor Jocelyn doubles over and I'm like 'What is going on, is this even real'. The fact Clary came up with the idea of the heavenly fire as a rune on the blade/dagger was genius, she fooled everyone.  

I know I didn't cover all the 700+ pages here but I think you get the gist of everything. This book made me so happy in the end even though some parts killed me. I don't mention Maia much but I do love her as well and I think the fact she grows out of her shell is fantastic. Helen and Aline, that really killed me, as if the Blackthorns and Emma haven't already gone through enough now Helen is getting exiled but at least Aline offered to go as well. 



Before I end this review I want to say: thankyou Cassandra Clare for taking your time to writing and crafting this amazing series and on behalf of all your readers thankyou so much. This book was written incredibly well and this might even be my favourite book of 2014 so far, I didn't not like anything in this book everything was just a perfect and well written ending to wrap up this series. I'm really going to miss this series. 



~fi
  x











No comments:

Post a Comment