Sunday 1 June 2014

We Were Liars | E. Lockhart

☆.5

There isn't much I can say if you haven't read the book, I'm pretty sure you have heard this from multiple people but I rather not ruin the experience of going into a book without knowing anything about it and this is exactly how you should to dive into this book. However what I can say is that it is a worthwhile read.

The book itself has one, if not the most vague synopsis I have ever read and its brilliant. There is a lot of hype surrounding 'We Were Liars' and I'm just glad that the hype didn't ruin it for me. The best way in my opinion is to go into this knowing nothing and getting the most out of it once you're done.

Bye Bye now non spoilery people......byeeeeee....come back and join the dark side once you've read the book.......gooooodd bYE!

Anyways! so lets get started.

Hello people-who-have-read-the-book-hopefully-and-aren't-here-because-don't-want-to-be-spoiled, because you're gonna get spoiled so leave my lovelies if you haven't read the book.

Where do I even begin, holy shit this was fantastic. The plot line the idea and writing everything was top notch and on point. I've heard loads of people say the hype surrounding this book killed it for them but I am so glad I didn't cave into the hype and read it when I felt like it. I read this in a few hours, it didn't feel like I was reading for very long either (not to mention it is quite a short book).

I gave this a 4.5 starts and you're probably wondering "Fiona why didn't you just give it the full 5 stars" and this is because I wanted more, just a bit more. We read from the beginning that something has happened, something has shook Cadence up and we read, read, read and follow this protagonist through her thoughts and issues and we lead up to the big reveal and let me tell you, the 'big reveal' was big and it did shake me up slightly but I wanted just a bit more.

A little more character development, not to much hidden away? I'm not to sure, it just irked me that I wanted more. I guess you could say it was closure.

I really liked the setting and the way it was presented, this whole book was just so well thought out and phenomenal. I loved! LOVED the fact that there was diversity in the main couple (Gat + Cadence) it was so cute to see their relationship unfold and bloom. I don't know if its just me but I don't read much books with many main couples being of colour or diverse and this was great. (Also the name Cadence was so pretty).

I did at times get so confused with the family's and who belonged to who and which house and family. But once I got the hang of it and flicked back to the front where it has two pages dedicated to the Sinclair family tree, I got the family down.

This was emotional, I'll give you that. I almost cried, I didn't actually cry like physically with snot and tears and mess but I almost did. This was cause I was so confused, we go from realistic reality (what) to ghosts and I was like 'wait what' but when I found out they died I was like 'oH my goodness no way' It was sad.

It crushed my soul and now I feel no more. The writing style was so lovely! Very poetic and I loved it. Some may argue that it was repetitive and snarky but I liked it very much. Yes! at some parts it was repetitive but I didn't mind it too much. This is my first book by 'e. lockhart' and I very much enjoyed it and hopefully I read some more of her books in the future.



Everyone needs to read We Were Liars.

No comments:

Post a Comment