Thursday 28 August 2014

Legend | Marie Lu



Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
First Published: USA, G.P Putnam's Sons, 2011
Pages: 305 (paperback edition)

Wow this was some hardcore dystopian!

Finally I'm back to my schedule of young adult reviews and what not a better way to kick start the occasion with one of my favourite genres: dystopians. Good lord this was written so well I flew through this book like a drive way. Books like this need to be everywhere, they just have to be everywhere, people need to be reading amazing books!

I don't think my synopsis of the book will do it any justice, I need to collect my thoughts. So here is the goodreads synopsis of the book and I hope this intrigues you:

"What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets"


I started this book not knowing very much of the plot line but slowly and gradually it all just clicked and my god was it beautiful. Prior to reading the books I actually first tried collecting the trilogy (in a specific edition (paperback with the rough/card textured covers) so when I stack them together or line them up on my shelf they all match, yeah I'm crazy like that. I also already knew (well I was 97% sure) I would love this series and thats why I started collecting them in the editions I want so later on I wouldn't be ripping my hair out trying to find them. So far I have the first two books in the right edition, I'm still trying to find the perfect edition of Champion the third and final book in this epic trilogy.

The book itself in whatever edition is beautiful, even the inside. The book follows duel perspectives: June and Day, however Day's perspective is in a different coloured font and thats a first for me. I've never read a proper book in other then black font, the colours change each book so all three are different. In Legend its yellow. Super rad!

These characters are so wonderful and loveable I found myself rooting for these characters, not to mention it's freakishly realistic for a dystopian (the romance isn't cheesy). There was a scene in this book that just...I don't think I've actually ever cried so much in a book before but in Legend I was legit bawling. I say in some of my dystopian reviews that even though its labelled as a 'dystopian' it's more of a 'romantic dystopian' because of the lack of world building and ton of romance. Although this book is on point and just an equal amount to keep you on the toes, Jesus Christ was this addictive. 

Marie Lu writes this so damn well there is nothing to say about it apart from read the book because even though the dystopian genre might not appeal to some people I think this book will regardless. Highly, highly recommend anyone to pick this up. I also read somewhere that Marie Lu got the idea of this series from Les Miserables, which I thought was absolutely fantastic. Before I even started this review I had already flown through the first third of the second book Prodigy, *hyperventilates* read the book please! It's very good! The concept is slaying and I cannot wait to find out where Marie Lu takes these characters and what happens next, I seriously cannot wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment