Sunday 31 August 2014

Prodigy | Marie Lu

Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Publication: G.P. Putnam's Sons/Penguin Young Readers, January 29th 2013
Pages: 371
My Rating: ✮✮✮✮

Okay no surprise that straight after I finished Legend I picked up Prodigy. I couldn't resist. If you haven't seen my Legend review you should as that is the first book in this trilogy and this is the second book. 


^^Literally me after I finished this. I don't know whether this book had more 'action' than Legend or it just had more going on but I think both books were pretty equal. I loved Legend and I gave it a five star rating however it wasn't that I did not, not like Prodigy it was just I liked Legend just a bit better hence the four start rating for this book. 

The focal point of this book for me was this new character that gets introduced at around the end of the first book (Legend) but gets carried on into Prodigy with much bigger significance. That special somebody would be Anden, the new Elector Primo. How can you not adore Anden? (although I love Day more). I absolutely love the way Marie Lu wrote this character and how she handled him; making her book unique rather than cliche with the good vs bad. 

Another reason I'm delighted by Marie Lu's books is because throughout the whole journey with these characters you're always on edge with this big question of who's good and who's bad; you find yourself choosing sides and then switching ever other minute. 


That good?

You betcha!

Like I said before there is a whole lot that goes on in this book, new characters, new alliances and the map gets bigger. June and Day seem to always be divided now that they have to team up with the Patriots to take down the new Elector Primo in an assassination plot. There was a lot of word building in Legend but I feel like we learn more and get more in Prodigy, so if you've decided not to carry on with this trilogy because of that I'd advise to pick up the second book and then choose to drop it. 

The dystopian genre is one of my favourites however it's a rare to nothing here on my blog to see a dystopian review and thats because I 'took a break'. I did this because the fact I cherished this genre so much I was always in bookstores grabbing for anything dystopian and then coming to reading it and being disappointed because the author didn't know what the bloody hell they were doing; just throwing around the words "government", "war", "riots", "rebellion" and "resistance" and hoping to coast through with the readers. 

On another note, in Legend, Day's perspective was in yellow and in Prodigy it was in blue. Holy moley. 


With the two main characters June and Day I didn't mind them in the first book, I thought it was very realistic for a dystopian world although there was a lack of character development but don't get me wrong there is a lot of backstory for both characters I just needed more (I'm weird). In Prodigy there was a moment of 'insta-love' and I literally cringed and was about to throw the book at the wall but I read on and thankfully Marie Lu didn't let it happen. 

Not just June and Day but like I said before were introduced to so many minor characters in Legend that take a huge toll in Prodigy and it's all starting to click. 

The ending! Oh God the ending, did that even happen? Was it real? Okay Marie Lu, you cannot end a book like that! Man I feel bad for those who had to wait a year for Champion (the third and last book in this series) to come out. Gratefully I have Champion in my hands and I plan to read the hell out of it like now. There's no going back now, too engrossed. 








No comments:

Post a Comment