Friday 12 September 2014

Four | Veronica Roth


✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ . 5 

I made my little sis pose for this. She hates me now. 

I had so much fun reading this and jumping back into this fantastic world Veronica Roth has created, I didn't know I actually missed it until I started this book and familiarizing myself with the world again. When I first heard Veronica was going to write this companion novel I was like "No, just leave the series as it is!" and I wanted nothing to do with it because once authors do this (after they complete a last book in their series) they start writing other character perspectives and it gets complicated and stupid. 

However this was as I said not something I planned on reading but.... I was casually eyeing books in a bookstore (as you do) and I came across this (it also didn't help that the cover was gorgeous) and I caved in. I don't even regret it. It wasn't 'AMAZING GO BUY THE BOOK NOW OMG I CANNOT LIVE!' but it was alright and it was everything I wanted in the Divergent books that I didn't get but now sorta know about Four. I gave it a 3.5 star rating out of 5. 

Obviously this may be a bit odd for people who have picked this book up not have read the Divergent books beforehand; all I have to say to you is whyyyyyy go read Divergent then Insurgent then (with some tissues) Allegiant. Seriously though I recommend reading the actual books before this otherwise you won't know a flipping flick about whats going on and what is happening. You may understand some of it but then it gets complex and you dead. 

The book is split into 4 short stories (get it 4, Four...h...a........wow I'm hilarious)


...and they are all  just GREAT! 

This book straight up is about Four (wow who knew), behind the scenes that we didn't get in the Divergent books as it mainly followed Tris's pov. We found out what he was up to before the Divergent books and his past that we get a vague synopsis off in the Divergent books. It's similar to Untie Me (if im right?) by Tahereh Mafi which is a novella about Warner and it's all about his past. It's basically a novella in some sense. 

Not only do we get so much more of Four but we also get more of the rest of the Dauntless initiates/borns like Zeke, Shauna, Eric and others, we see the friendships and the hateships as well. We do also get in the last short story where Tris has joined as well *squeals* 

I fell in love with Four again, I loved him in the Divergent series but in this book where he is stripped of everything and we get the raw past it was quite emotional and I loved him even more. The first third of the book was a bit depressing (not the writing definitely not the writing) because of the situation Four had been in with corresponds to his childhood. 


The writing was fantastic, Veronica Roth takes it home every-time, I actually have nothing to say. Her writing is so bland (in a good way) you understand everything, it's also very fluid and at times hilarious. She's also a very lovely person, you all should follow her on tumblr, she's great! 

I feel as though people love Tris more from the actual books and don't get me wrong I love her too she is one of my favourite female heroines ever it's just I think people underestimate Four and how amazing he really is. This was just a fast pace read and I enjoyed every moment of it. Veronica Roth is a godess! 







No comments:

Post a Comment