Monday 15 September 2014

Shadow and Bone #1 | Leigh Bardugo


✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ 

Just excuse Cress for the moment, I know it's very beautiful but please.....Shadow and Bone was epic! 

Gave this 5/5. This is another one up there with the rest of my 2014 favourites, I adored this book so much. I have to say now that this isn't going to be one of my 'normal' reviews only because there isn't anything abnormal that I have to say about this book except my undying love for it. 

Once again I suck 'D' at describing synopsis's of my favourite books so I can only hope that this goodreads one intrigues you enough:
'Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.'

Know that I cannot make you read something or not read something, although bearing that in mind one thing I do have to stress is that this is a fantasy/YA trilogy and I'm not sure how to say this but I don't think if you have never read fantasy before that you should go straight into this, same goes for if you don't read at all.....(why)......that you shouldn't start with this. It is very much fantasy fantasy and I found myself confused and a bit flustered at times (and I read fantasy like people need to eat food). Not to mention the first page has a map, when a book has a goddamn map you know already it's gonna be hardcore. 

I'm writing this review, probably around three of four days after I've finished the book. (1) I do this because it helps me digest my feelings towards a book (2) I am very lazy.

Here's an interesting fact: Whilst physically reading the book I found myself so engrossed, I even found myself 'aww'-ing in appropriate moments of the novel (I don't usually do this tbh). However once I finished reading the book and put off reviewing it for a couple of days just to digest my feelings, I realised there wasn't much I remembered about the book......what. 


It's not the inexcusable nutcase of 'she's totally forgot everything', 'she doesn't remember a thing' kinda situations because I do remember literally all of it and I can recall all the important moments of the book it's just all my feelings whilst reading the book are gone and it now just feels like 'ehh another book' even though I'd kill someone for this book. I hope we've all established now that I'm a freak......a v cool one though. 

This is a Young Adult, Fantasy trilogy like I said before and all three books are all out and I cannot wait to get my hands on Siege and Storm the second book in this trilogy, I've ordered online and I should be getting in the mail any day now, I'm to excited. The books themselves are so gorgeous! I have the first book (the picture above) in (I think, not sure) a limited edition print and it's PURPLE. 


I flew through the first book like a drive through and I can only imagine how fast I'll read the next two. 

These characters are so well written and so loveable, I miss them already. The main: Alina Starkov I didn't mind too much, I thought she was very much similar to me in the sense our minds work pretty much the same way. She was alright. She was fine, and I think the reason I don't find myself ogling at the book anymore was because even though these characters are so loveable in the moment, once you finish the book it's like 'Oh that was okay I guess, I'll go eat some cookies now'.

Alina starts off very bitter. She compares herself to all the other beautiful Grisha girls, again quite realistic and I like how Leigh Bardugo didn't make her the not-pretty-but-then-she-finds-a-guy-and-she-becomes-pretty, like I hate that. Why can't authors make realistic heroines for their books??!??!? I will never understand. So like I said in the beginning I thought Alina was pretty realistic but then we progress and I start to see that she is very much like Bella Swan. However Alina is much more better than Bella, this was a very bad comparison I'm sorry. I still really like her though I hope she gets better.

Some people may say she is a bit wimpy and I understand where you're coming from but COME ON lets see you do better. It's one of those situations where you try and picture yourself; finding out you have a freaking sun inside your cells (not literally), like how would you deal with that! I thought it was realistic and fabulous! She definitely develops over the course of the book and I'm very certain at the end of the series she will bloom like a beautiful flower.  

This idea that Leigh Bardugo had for this series was epic, I mean at the beginning I was confused (so, so confused) but you gotta give it a chance and it just gets so much better. I do have to say that there is limited world building for such a complex world that she has in mind and I would like to have had more world building in the book, never the less I enjoyed it very much and her writing is as fluid as water. There is a type of lingo going on but every fantasy book has a lingo going on. 

I'm not exactly sure whether there is a love triangle going on here but this is one of the most interesting triangles ever! I mean so many plot twists you cannot resist but enjoy it. The Darkling, *swoons* goodness me how sexy does that sound? Maybe Leigh Bardugo has this all under control and I just gotta read the next book to really be head over heels over this series. 

I really recommend you give this a shot! Can I also just mention there is some amazing fan art out there based around this book. So swoon worthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment