Wednesday 22 October 2014

Anna and the French Kiss | Stephanie Perkins



✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ 

*Don't worry I hate the editing too. But it will have to do for now, I'm sleep deprived. I can't even see properly.  
The fact I haven't read these books till now is appalling, I know. Trust me I know. I just don't know why it took me a century to actually get to them. I've read Anna and Lola so far and I still have Isla but I've put that off for a bit just to finish some other books first. 

This is one of the best feel-goods I have EVER read and holy crap I think I'm falling in love with the book. Stephanie Perkins is already hands down one of my favourite young adult authors and I've only read two of her books so far. I say this because its not easy to write 'love' realistically or to capture the essence and the build up, but she does and she gets it. I love her. 

Anna and the French Kiss is about a girl called Anna (...) who gets shipped off to an American boarding school in Paris and meets some fantastic people and obviously a boy (but he is so great). It's a typical teen romantic novel and that's why we love it! It's books like this that need to have more recognition (even though this novel is hyped up loads), as it is so relatable to teenage girls including myself. The reason I love Stephanie Perkins and her novels is that I see myself in her characters. I see myself relating to them in some sort of way, whether its good or bad I get to see that I'm not the only one and it's books like these which give you that extra boost to be yourself and not to dress/look/act for any boy or anyone for that matter. This is especially pronounced in Lola and the Boy Next Door.  

Anna and the French Kiss is a young-adult contemporary, it is the first book in a three book companion series, if that makes any sense. It's like, Anna and the French Kiss is the first book and Lola and the Boy Next Door is a companion to that book; Isla and the Happily Ever After is a companion to that. However you can read all three books in whatever order you want, that's the great thing! Not to mention the books after Anna have the characters in Anna (...) so Lola has book cameos of Anna and St.Clair and the same with Isla- it'll have the book cameos of Anna and Lola + St.Clair and Cricket. Am I making any sense? Probably not. Again.....sleep deprived, bare with. 

I started reading this for the Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon as my last book as I had only three hours left to spare and I thought I could whizz through this which I did but I had around 100 pages left. I didn't finish the whole book in time but I did the next day and I loved it of course. Although it was very hard to put this book down (you cannot put these books down!) Once you're invested you might as well stop your life till you finish. That means sacrificing sleep. 

This book has it all, you can't hate it! How the hell do you hate this? I mean you have a loveable/likeable protagonist, a goddamn cute English boy - Etienne St.Clair - so swoon worthy and witty; fantastic friends. I am not lying when I say you will fall in love with all these characters (apart from the mean horrible ones), you will definitely not forget this book. 

The first two chapters (which are pretty short) were a bit slow but it picked up and holymacaroniandcheese it was PHENOMENAL. At first I didn't know what people loved this book at all I mean there were so many cry worthy scenes and tears were shed (no shame). I had no clue why people were raving I mean it was so depressing at some parts which made it realistic; not cliche and stupid! 

I gave this a five start rating simply because I loved it and it made me happy. It's not a five star novel however and I understand the reasoning for the average amount of people who have given it four stars. Baring this in mind I prefer to rate books on whether I enjoyed it and would I recommend this to my friends, boyfriend, future children *screaming*. I try not to take it too seriously. I mean at the end of the day, what's stopping someone from reading a book if they desperately want to? I know for sure it's not 'someones' review on it.  

I will probably review Lola as I've also finished reading that, although Isla will have to wait as I still yet have to read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment