Sunday 19 October 2014

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer #1 | Michelle Hodkin



✴ ✴ ✴  

hey ho! 
It's almost my birthday and I'm very excited to get a bunch of stuff I don't need. I'm also very excited to get The Retribution of Mara Dyer (#3) in the main around November-ish and it's gonna be a signed copy cause Michelle Hodkin said she was signing all pre-orders so if you want one go....go pre-order one noW!

I also started this book a few days before the Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon and when the read-a-thon started I only had a hundred or so pages left of this book so I finished this in the read-a-thon which was super fun. I also started and read some other fantastic books. More on that later. 

These covers are breathtaking! 

Well this was a very interesting read. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a young-adult /paranormal/ psychological thriller. I've actually spent the last four years avoiding books like this because I used to read loads of them back in the day (4 years ago), hard times. I used to read books like: Hush Hush, Beautiful Creatures, Fallen The Dark Divine etc, and I realised that I was a stupid little 'baiseur' and I was reading crappy-cliche-badly written books and I need to sort my goddamn priorities out. So I stopped. So the first time I heard about this I was all: Oh god not again, je ne peux pas continuew a lire cette connerie. 

'Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can. 

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. 
There is.
 

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. 
She's wrong.'

I did very much enjoy it and I will not ever be re-reading this, thankyou. 

I don't know whether to accept this book because ffs there is sexism and as a feminist I just, WHY!!!! I know there are people who hate this book ; it may be very cliche for people and I totally understand I mean I could have gone either way. Like I said before I stopped reading books like this because of 'this'. Putting that aside for this review I did enjoy this but I did not love it nor will I ever read it again. There are many reasons why I gave this book three stars and there is not enough of my sanity to explain why. 

I've seen this book contrasted with 50 shades of grey (without the sex) and yeah I see it. How are people giving this book a full five star rating? I mean how are you guys so oblivious? I would give you some examples to talk about but frankly I just finished writing an English lit essay and I rather not. 

To generalise this book messed with my head so bad. I need to also stress that this may trigger. This book deals with blood/abuse//post-trauma/anxiety/bruising etc and it may cause post-traumatic flashbacks or self-harm and I don't want anyone to get hurt, physically or mentally (。^‿^。). 

I personally suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and at times I did have to put this book down but I did finish it. The book is a psychological thriller but it's passive, it eases you into the mystery. It's not fast-pace or action packed but it messes with you for sure. When I was reading it I felt like I was going insane. Michelle Hodkin knows how to mess you up! My only reaction was 'WHAT THE F IS GOING ON?'

It's weird talking about this book because I like it and then I hate it. Bittersweet? I haven't read a book like this in a while. The writing style wasn't unique at first I thought it was written by a thirteen year old girl with a slightly large vocabulary. I then got used to the writing style, nothing special but it was refreshing. The book itself is a mystery and that was the element I adored, it was such a good page turner. Not to mention the book made me laugh a lot. Always a plus. I think I could let it slide (I hear screaming) I'm so sorry it's just I can't say I hate it because I don't, apparently it gets better, oh dear god I hope it does. 

I want to finish reading the series because (1) I already have the second book and I've pre-ordered the third, (2) It's a mystery! I can't just s t o p. 

The characters are alright nothing special. Noah though. Yeah I do like him and I hate that I do. I feel as though if he wasn't in this book it would just be depression, depression, depression and that's why Noah and Mara cancel each other out/help each other. The main character: Mara Dyer, I really do like her. Although she is very.....Anastasia Steele. Like she can't tell people (men) to F THE HELL OFF! But then again in a public situation with a guy I'm head over heels with I don't think I could either, but after the night I'd go home sleep on it and think about it and then ditch his ugly ass. 

What is even happening in this book? I'll read the second one and then I shall be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment