Thursday 16 October 2014

Siege and Storm #2 | Leigh Bardugo



✴ ✴ 

Oh my god you don't understand how much I wanted to love it! 

Sorry for being dead for eight days and not posting/reviewing anything. It's not cause I wasn't reading anything because I've read two books since my Heir of Fire review. I read Siege and Storm and hated it. Maybe hate is a little too strong, I highly disliked it. Then I proceeded to finish the series as I had the third and final book: Ruin and Rising (yeah I'll review that in a bit) but what the shiitakemushrooms happened here? I mean I loved the first book in this series: Shadow and Bone (I have a review of that
here). I literally adored that book and I have no idea what happened when I started Siege and Storm. So we have established that I have indeed read two books since and basically my hiatus was cause I don't even know what to think of them....

Siege and Storm in the second book in the Grisha trilogy and I mean it was 'alright', not memorable at all and I just felt as though it was bloody pointless! There was only, what? three main things that happened that could have been introduced/added at the end of the first book to make that slightly longer than writing a whole other book! The story just got boring and at some point I gave up, although I forced myself to finish it I didn't really have much positivity to spread and thats why I haven't reviewed anything for a while. I just didn't know how to comprehend this. I haven't read a book I just totally blanked on for a while.

It's like the delirium trilogy all over again:
Loved the first book,
Hated Highly disliked the second book,
and the third instalment was just not even finished properly. I'm sorry but what kind of ending was that!

Oh look it's like a depressing poem of my relationships with trilogies! Not every trilogy I've read has followed this scheme but I'm starting to see a recurring theme here....The Selection by Kiera Cass, Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Legend by Marie Lu and now this. FFS!

I should probably warn you now that this is not gonna be a review per-sae but a dreadful rant. A bit belated on the warning but I just don't care anymore. I'll try my hardest to review but in the end I'll probably degrade everything.

I would have given the book a two star rating but because of the Darkling -swoons -I guess I could push it to three. I pictured him as Colin O'Donoghue who plays Captain Hook from Once Upon A Time if you wanted to know (great tv show, go check it out). I have no idea why I kept on picturing him but hey lets be honest! Hookers gonna Hook.

      ........god he is so beautiful

I don't know if it's just me or everyone gernerally hated the second book, I've read some mixed reviews. However I really did try to love it and I tried to understand but I just couldn't and looking back I don't remember much of anything that happened in Siege and Storm apart from new characters getting introduced. Then again that could have been done in Shadow and Bone. 

Don't get me wrong I enjoy Leigh Bardugo's writing and her style is fantastic; everything is so fluid and lovely. I will say I liked this series. The last book (which I have also completed within my hiatus-review coming in a bit) was much, much better than Siege and Storm. Ruin and Rising was exceedingly better as I actually remember the goddamn book for starters, there was more action yet it was slightly slow.  

I said in my Shadow and Bone review that I was compelled to the main character- Alina Starkov- and I still do love her! Another thing, Leigh Bardugo writes the most amazing characters I have ever read they are all witty and fabulous. Although I am still delighted by the cast. Alina however -sighs- god now it's like she literally looks at everyone else (men and women) in disdain which is such a bummer because she could have been amazing! There could have been better development and there was so much potential to see her ignite. But were just going in circles. This book was way too passive for me. 

Something I noticed throughout the second book and also in the third was-and I'm not sure if this is a writing flaw-but there were multiple bazillion times where Alina was like 'I want to go talk to him/she/them/it but I thought better of it'. You're probably like what is she on about but here's the thing, I don't mind this at all but when it's repeated so much in the book that I start to keep count it's not fun. No, no, no because now when this happens I'm like 'JFC ALINA PLEASE GO TALK TO THEM!' 

Everyone might love this specific book and the series itself and it might just be me, never the less I urge you to pick up the first book because that was by miles my favourite from the three. I assure you will love it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment