Saturday 25 October 2014

Lola and the Boy Next Door | Stephanie Perkins




✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ 

Again, don't worry I hate the editing too, bare with, I'm hella sleep deprived.

Would you hate me if I said I preferred this book to Anna and the French Kiss? Even if you did I wouldn't care too much. I can like what I want tooOOoooOOOOooOOO......Send help.

'Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighbourhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.'

It's raining as I write this review and I don't think I've ever mentioned Autumn is my favourite season and October is my favourite month. The weather does that thing where its slightly cold but not too cold and leaves fall, I get to wear more jumpers and leggings, more tea (cued Englishness) and hot chocolate I don't drink much coffee. More red/burgundy/rebel-ish lipsticks and boots, I'll have you know I have indisputably 1099584357348959438592894 pairs of boots. October is my 'birthday month' and Halloween is Halloween. I get to wear scary stuff without it being weird, not that it would ever stop me but walking around with a pseudo bullet in my head would be a wee bit strange.

Lola and the Boy Next Door is a young-adult, contemporary. I gave both books a five star rating so it's not so much the writing or the plot but the fact I related to Lola so much more. Don't get me wrong, I adored Anna in it's own special way and Lola in another. Similar to how I love Etienne for Etienne and Cricket for Cricket even though they are totally opposite people. Look at me making so much sense!

These books are such fast reads it's actually unbelievable! I started reading Lola two nights ago thinking I would get a few chapters in but that didn't happen and I ended up reading practically almost the whole book. I then proceeded to finish it the next morning because lolaandcricket. I had a guy over that night and he thought I was crazy - "I swear every time I look up it's like you've whizzed twenty pages or something!" I blew his mind.

I said in my Anna and the French Kiss review that there are so many reason why teens (including me) love Stephanie Perkins, from her writing to the way she captures the essence of 'love' in her books. I also said that all her characters are so relatable and that's another reason people love it. I personally related to Lola more than Anna which I did explain in my Anna review. So read that if you wanna.

Also in my Anna and the French Kiss review I explained how the books work, as they are all companion novels to each other, Anna being the first. I also explained that in Lola we would get book cameos of Anna and Etienne, as well as in Isla. Basically I explain everything concisely in my Anna review.

The one thing I disliked about this book but didn't over-think and give it a 4 star rating was something I just thought was totally and utterly unnecessary. Lola, at the beginning of the book has a long-term boyfriend who is kind, caring and an all round lovely boyfriend who then has to turn into a jerk/dick for Lola to 'understand' and for it to be okay for her to then break up with him. It could have been written better and just thought out better. It was very unnecessary because I did like his character and it was a shame he turned into a jackass.

I don't think I've ever met someone who read Anna and the French kiss but disliked Lola. In a particular case, my friend Tess, like me enjoyed/preferred the book Lola to Anna. All Stephanie Perkins books are warm fuzzies and make you feel so fjsdafdskafjkdasjfkds and you just wanna explode cause of the overwhelming cuteness. I highly, highly recommend her books!!! Seriously!

I still yet have to read Isla and Happily Ever After but I assure you I will and I will review it. Just soooooocuteeeee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment