Saturday 4 February 2017

To All The Boys I've Loved Before | Jenny Han




✴ 


Okay so this was not what I expected at all. I hope ya'll like these images I took, look at all those 'to-be-read books in the back of the first pic. ALSO, I borrowed this from my friend Tess - whom I mention so much on this blog: here, here, here, here, here and here. I don't know if she wants this back so I'm hanging on to it for now, I did however Skype her the other day to tell her that I'm making this post right now and that she is gonna get a shout out, you can follow her on tumblr here

This is a Young-Adult, Contemporary, it is the first book in a trilogy I believe. This is a goodreads synopsis (you can follow me or add me on Goodreads here) because I will not bother myself to sit and tell you what this book is about: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all. 

I have reviewed Jenny Han’s other series: The Summer I Turned Pretty on this blog and the review of that is here. I have come to the conclusion after reading four of her books and a short story from: My True Love Gave To Me (I have a review of that here, it was my last blog post actually so you can probably scroll down!) that her writing... irritates me. Her plot and ideas - I don’t like. Yes, its ~cute~ and sometimes makes me feel warm and mushy but other than that it sucks so much. It should wow me, I should be wow'ed or at least enjoy the premiss of the book, which I did not....at all. There is nothing special about Jenny Han's writing, like truly this was a bland contemporary to me. I am giving it two stars and not one because I managed to finish the book because I wanted to, I didn't feel like I was forcing myself to. That should say something, even if it's just a little. 

In my honest opinion, this book was all over the place. There wasn't a single thing that created a consensus for everything to become one. Am I making sense? Because I felt as though everything in this book could have been a story in itself, there was just too much and none of it was adding up. Not to mention there were main characters that I disliked heavily in this book as well, maybe that’s another factor to why I didn’t enjoy the book in the end. I did not like the main at all. Lara Jean is sixteen and she sounds like a twelve year old brat. She is just so ??? I didn’t like it, she wasn’t as bad as Eadlyn whats-her-name or America Singer from The Selection series (I have a review of those here) but she was pretty bad. Her little sister was nice but I also disliked Lara’s older sister Margo. Everything was just ‘yikes’ for me. In my honest opinion the entire book was built at a very superficial level. I know this is a contemporary but like where?.....It was pretty bad.

I know this book is a trilogy (I believe). I will not be reading the next two books because there isn’t anything special about this series. APART FROM THE POC (people of colour)!!!! I really loved that this book has an Asian family (or at least half Asian) because it’s a step in the right direction. Even though everyone else was of course White, it’s good to submerge yourself in a teen novel where many individuals can possible relate more to a character than just her thoughts/personality. I applaud Jenny Han for this but in this day in age we shouldn’t have too, diversity should be one of the top priorities in bestselling novels because…..the world isn’t White and other races do exist believe it or not. I feel extremely strong about this because this world is filled with opportunity and all different beautiful kinds of individuals, if you are not capturing that in you’re books…what are you doing. You are not being honest to yourself or this world because there are so MANY types of people. Just trY. Another thing I want to mention before I digress, is that I will not be labelling this book as ‘diverse’, why? Because there is a single half Asian family does not mean this book is diverse (lmao). SO sorry (not sorry) but it’s not diverse at all.

To conclude, I will not be continuing this series, or reading anymore Jenny Han. Life is too short to read books that irk me and I mean I knew this was about to happen. I had read her other three books and they annoyed me so yeah. Also, the plot in this isn't exciting at all and I can already predict what will happen so I'm not at a loss here. If I were you I would read the synopsis and if you think this it up your ally, go for it. Otherwise, move on...it really isn't great. Contemporaries should be realistic, this was not.



No comments:

Post a Comment